If you are considering renting a storage unit, it can be hard to figure out just how big a space you will need. For instance, I know that I seem to have a problem estimating space requirements for my all my stuff – which may explain why my car won’t fit in my garage anymore. If you have the same spatial reasoning issues I do, you could probably use a guide to storage unit sizes. (Remember that in a storage unit, you usually store large items like beds and couches on end to take advantage of vertical space and use a smaller footprint.)
Here are the typical sizes available, and a description of what they can hold:
- 5 x 5 (25 sq. ft.) holds the contents of one small room, or is a great option for storage of sports equipment or seasonal decorations.
- 5 x 10 (50 sq. ft) holds the contents of two small rooms, or one larger room (can handle a queen sized bed)
- 10 x 10 (100 sq. ft.) holds the contents of three rooms (a living room and two bedrooms, for instance)
- 10 x 15 (150 sq. ft.) holds the contents of four rooms (will accommodate larger items, like pianos and dining tables)
- 10 x 20 (200 sq. ft.) holds the contents of five rooms, including items such as appliances
- 10 x 25 (250 sq. ft.) holds the contents of an entire 3 bedroom house
Dollar Self Storage has units from 25 sq. ft. to 1,000 sq. ft, so you only pay for the size you need. And if you need to store some really big items, like RVs and boats, Dollar has five locations that offer affordable, clean, and secure RV and boat storage.
I wanted to see your rates for the different space sizes, but found no links for this. I was going to consider how much stuff to store based on what I thought I could afford. But your Tucson facility is too far away, also.
Thanks for your comment! Sorry you had difficulty finding pricing information. Pricing and availability can be found under our “Reservation” links.
I’m also assuming from your comment that you are in the Tucson area. We have 2 facilities in the Tucson area – one branded as Dollar Self Storage Tucson and the other as Midvale Park Self Storage. Just go to those pages and click on the Make a Reservation button.
Also, you can click here to go to our main Reserve/Rent Unit page, which provides links to all of our locations’ pricing and availability.
Thanks for the list of usual sizes, it’s always a pain to try and figure out how much room you’re going to need in a storage unit, especially if you have a lot of stuff to store. I imagine that the average person would only need either the 25 or 50 sq. foot option though, unless they run a business. That being said though, if you’re still not sure about the right size, it’s probably better to choose larger than you’re thinking just in case you have more stuff to store than you thought.