Ever wonder why June is the most popular month for weddings? Apparently this tradition goes back a long way. The Roman goddess Juno was the goddess of marriage, and many people considered it highly propitious to marry in the month named after her, as they believed they would be blessed with luck and goodwill from the gods. That, and nice weather, are as good a reason as any to tie the knot in June. But whether you are a June bride or a November bride, there is one thing that is certain: wedding planning takes a lot of time – and space!
From shoes and veils, to favors and crafts, a lot of stuff can start to accumulate in the months preceding a wedding. A storage unit can be a great way to handle the chaos and keep it from taking over your bedroom, spare room, or even living room.
Here are some tips on how to keep it all organized:
- Keep a binder with a master list of all projects, their current status, and where they are stored.
- Use accordion files for paperwork and receipts.
- Large, clear plastic bins are great for crafts, clearly labelled with contents.
- Organize bins by category: rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception, going-away, etc.
- The wedding gifts – many will come in before the wedding. If they are not perishable, and you want to wait to open them, into the storage unit they go.
The nice thing about the storage unit idea is that you can continue to store things there while you are on your honeymoon, and use it as a place to sort out what you will keep and what you won’t after you begin your new life together. If your parents have put together an awesome display of pictures and memorabilia, you are not going to want to throw it out, but you will need time to figure out what to do with it.
For more tips on planning your wedding, check out this Ultimate Wedding Planning Checklist.