Why would anyone rent storage space for their car? Well, a lot of people these days own more vehicles than their garage will hold. In addition to the car you drive to work every day, you might have:
- Recreational vehicles, like an RV, boat, motorcycle, or ATV;
- A classic car that you take out for special occasions;
- An old car that you are rebuilding in your spare time.
If you are dealing with issues regarding homeowner’s association rules, apartment complex restrictions, or municipal street regulations, you have probably considered renting storage for your vehicle. There are some really excellent reasons to do this:
- Free up extra space in your driveway and garage;
- Get the peace of mind that comes with knowing your vehicle is in a safe location, with controlled access, security cameras, and fencing;
- Avoid the hassle of constantly moving your vehicles around for access, or to comply with parking regulations.
The next question you might face is: indoor or outdoor? This will depend on the climate you live in, the value of your vehicle, and your budget. Many storage facilities will offer you three alternatives: outdoor, uncovered parking; outdoor parking under a canopy; and indoor parking in a fully enclosed unit. Outdoor parking is the less expensive alternative, and is ideal for large vehicles such as RV’s and boats. RV and boat storage are available at several Dollar locations, including Corona and Phoenix.
An enclosed, indoor unit might be the right choice for a classic car, as it offers more protection from the elements, as well as an extra layer of security. Indoor and outdoor vehicle storage are available at select Dollar locations, including Corona and Phoenix.
Now that you have decided to store your vehicle, you need to take a few steps to make sure it is ready to roll after a long period of inactivity. It is important to prepare your vehicle for long term storage, and not just store it “as is”. Edmunds.com has some excellent tips on how to prepare your car for long-term storage that would be applicable to all kinds of vehicles.
Take good care of your “toys”, and they will give you years of fun!