Schools are either out or letting out very soon and the Summer Solstice is upon us. That means the little people in most homes are super excited!
For the parents of these kids, the excitement may be mixed with a little apprehension. Parents are excited to have a few months off of rushing around in the morning and having to get kids up, fed, lunches made, and out the door before 8 am. But slower mornings also mean that you’ll have your kids home all day long. It’s only a matter of time before they get “bored” and you’re left scrambling for ideas of things to do.
So what do you do when the boredom sets in? We did a little research on some fun and inexpensive things to do this summer – they are all really simple, but you may find that some of the best memories are the ones created doing the smallest things. Go to Care.com for a more extensive list, but here are a few of out favorites:
- See a movie at a drive-in (do they still have these??)
- Play miniature golf
- Catch fireflies at night
- Go to a local fair and win a prize or try a new food
- Picnic at the beach: complete with a sandcastle competition
- Pick berries or peaches at a local farm
- Make s’mores
- Make lemonade from scratch
- Go to a local farmers market and enjoy all the fresh summer produce
- Watch the sunset
- Find local outdoor concerts and enjoy the cool air on a comfy blanket
- Swim in a lake
- Ride a bike
- Hike a local trail
- Pick wildflowers
- Go kayaking or paddle boarding
- Play Frisbee
- Take a last minute, loosely planned road trip
- Go to a baseball game
- Read aloud to your kids: doesn’t matter their age or the book, but read together
- Go camping
- Fly a kite
- Buy some chalk and create some sidewalk art
- Fly a kite
- Have a water balloon fight
There are so many things you can do this summer to make it your most memorable one yet!
If you get too hot, swing by one of our Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, or SoCal air conditioned storage facilities. Here at Dollar Self Storage we plan on working most of our summer to make sure you have access to whatever you need from your storage unit to add to the seasonal fun!